THE IMPORTANCE OF AN ELECTRICAL PANEL REPLACEMENT
If you own a home that is older than 30 years old, then it may be time for you to get your circuit panel replaced. Circuit panels are the key component in providing electricity throughout your house.
In the 21st century, households require more power than ever before. Your electrical panel must be capable of distributing this power efficiently and safely. In the past, the standard home might have general lighting for each room with a pair of receptacles with an electrical panel with 50 amps. A family would have, what are now, basic electrical devices and major home appliances, and in all probability, they would have only one of each. The gadgets that are so much a part of our lives today did not even exist, no computers, no comparable home entertainment systems, not even cell phones to charge. An old electrical panel will eventually succumb to the rigors of today’s world, overload, cause damage, and even cause a fire.
ADVANTAGES OF REPLACING YOUR ELECTRICAL PANEL
There are several benefits to using our installation services to have your electrical panel replaced. Some of these advantages are:
Increase Your Home’s Safety
Let’s face it, the main advantage of having your electrical panel replaced is the increased safety it provides. If there is a malfunction in the operation of your electrical panel, it can cause an electrical fire, which has the potential of destroying your entire property.
Provide More Consistent Power
Older electrical panels are often not able to supply the consistent power that modern appliances and technology needs. Without strong enough electrical power, you are more likely to overload your circuits and have your circuit breakers trip on a regular basis. So rather than trying to guess if you have too many things plugged in for your electrical panel to handle, you can have your panel upgraded for consistent electrical power.
Add Extra Circuits During Upgrade
Some electrical panels lack the space to add extra dedicated circuits, which means that you are not able to power your appliances and electronics easily. With an upgraded electrical panel, you can have the appropriate amount of circuits to protect your home and provide for your electrical needs.
SIGNS THAT YOUR ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT PANEL NEEDS REPLACED
There are some clear signs that indicate that your electrical circuit panel needs to be replaced. Many of these signs should be addressed immediately, as they indicate there is an existing problem with your current panel, and the risk of an electrical fire is high.
- Home is over 25 years old – Electrical panels can last between 25-40 years and generally are not changed unless needed. So, if your home is over 25 years old, it is time to have your electrical panel checked and potentially replaced.
- Circuit breakers trip often – Circuit breakers that often trip can indicate that the electrical demand is too high for your current electrical panel. If the panel is consistently overtaxed, it can cause an electrical fire.
- The electrical panel is warm – Wires that are properly connected and insulated should not heat up so that you can notice it. So, if you touch your electrical panel and it is warm, then it is time to get it checked.
- Fuse-based electrical panel – While there is nothing inherently wrong with a fuse-based electrical panel, they are outdated and often not powerful enough for current electrical needs.
- Noise coming from outlets – If there is any buzzing, clicking, or humming sounds coming from your outlets, that can mean there is something dangerously wrong with the outlets, wiring, or electrical panel. An inspection by one of our electricians can help determine where the issue lies.
- Strange smells near panel – Unknown smells that come from or near your electrical panel can mean that there is something already burning or has melted where you cannot see it. This issue needs to be addressed immediately, as it can indicate a serious hazard.
- Water damage around electrical panel – If there has been water damage around or on your electrical panel, you should have it inspected for a potential replacement. The water can destroy some of the delicate circuitry of your electrical panel, leaving you and your home less protected.
Should you see one or more of these signs, it is time to call in the certified electricians at GAC Services. Our electricians can assess whether you need a replacement or if there is another source for your electrical issues.
BRING IN GAC SERVICES FOR YOUR PANEL INSPECTION AND INSTALLATION!
If you would like to have your electrical panel inspected to see if you need a replacement, please contact us for an appointment. We will send an electrician to your home to examine your circuit breaker panel and provide a recommendation.
Contact GAC Services at 240-406-4653. We have been your neighborhood partner for over 50 years for your HVAC and Electrical needs.