Energy Saving Tips for your HVAC System on Earth Day
For many, the month of April is symbolic of the start of spring and the blossoming of life after a long dreary winter. April also celebrates a day of reflection for the preservation and health of our planet, observed on the 22nd.
Since its creation in 1969, Earth Day has grown into a worldwide effort for what we can all do in our daily lives to make the world a better place. As this year’s Earth Day approaches, it’s important to understand as individual inhabitants of this planet that it’s the little actions we do that can make all the difference.
Participating in Earth Day is simple. If you are looking for opportunities to shrink your carbon footprint and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, consider some improvements you can make to your HVAC system. Not only are these small changes great for the environment—they can also make a big difference in your monthly heating and cooling bills.
Here are just a few ways you can make your home HVAC strategy more eco-friendly:
- Change your air filters. This is something you should already be doing on a regular basis. Earth Day is a great time to swap them out and establish a habit of changing them as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Schedule an HVAC tune-up. A simple tune-up can help boost the energy efficiency of your system. It can also help you catch problems before they progress into something catastrophic.
- Inspect your duct work. Seal off any leaky areas. Leaky ducts are the most wasteful (and most common) problems in HVAC efficiency.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. With a programmable thermostat, you can “set it and forget it.” You set the temperature based on the times you are normally home, and your habits. Why waste energy heating or cooling a home when you aren’t there? Plus, programmable thermostats can save you around 15% on your energy bills.
- Keep your thermostat a degree or two higher this summer. A small adjustment can have a big impact in the amount of energy saved.
If your HVAC system is 11 years old or older, replacing it may be the best way to boost your household energy efficiency. Many utility providers are offering great rebates for customers who upgrade to energy efficient systems. Check out our current offers on a new system, with a savings of up to $2,100.
Some of these Earth Day solutions are simple DIY tasks, but others require a professional touch. If you need help getting more out of your HVAC system for your energy dollar, contact us. Show your love for the planet we call home! Contact us online or call 301-926-3253.