Summer will be here before you know it, so it’s time to start thinking about your air conditioner and making sure it runs smoothly. If you notice your AC is not working when you turn it on for the first time this year, follow this basic troubleshooting guide, or call the heating and cooling experts at GAC Services–240-224-3144!
We’ve compiled a list of steps to take when your AC seems to be malfunctioning. The following guide covers only basic, easy to fix issues. Because handling air conditioning units without professional experience can be dangerous, we suggest calling an HVAC expert if your AC repairs go beyond these simple steps.
1. Make sure your your AC is on the correct setting. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s easy to accidentally choose the wrong setting. Check that your thermostat is set to the “cool” position.
2. Make sure the thermostat is at a temperate low enough to activate the cool air.
3. Check to be sure the blower door on the air handler is closed completely.
4. Check your air filter to be sure it’s clean. If it’s dirty, replace the filter with a clean one.
5. Check the ductwork to be sure it isn’t disconnected.
6. Check the power to make sure the unit is plugged in.
7. Check the evaporator to be sure it is clean. If it’s dirty, clean the evaporator sufficiently and try starting the unit again.
8. Take a look at the condenser. If it’s dirty, clean it and remove any blockage. .
It’s important to note that an extremely hot day may have something to do with your AC unit not producing your desired temperature. If temperatures outside are much hotter than normal, your air conditioner may not be able to keep your house as cold as you would like, no matter how efficient it is. Consult with a professional before making the decision to replace your AC unit.
Schedule AC Repair in Maryland
If you have tried all the suggestions mentioned in our troubleshooting guide and still can’t seem to locate the problem, contact GAC Services right away. We will send a professional out to inspect your unit and perform the necessary repairs.